Collagen Industry Overview
The global collagen market size is expected to reach USD 16.7 billion by 2028, expanding at a revenue-based CAGR of 9.0%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. The growth in the market can be attributed to the high demand for collagen in cosmetic surgeries and wound healing treatments. Increasing consumer spending capacities coupled with the popularity of skin surgeries has propelled product demand across the world.
Bovine, porcine, poultry and marine are the four main sources required for manufacturing collagen. Collagen from bovine source accounts for a substantial share of 38% as of 2020, as opposed to other sources, on account of the abundance of bovine sources and relatively lower price as compared to marine and porcine sources. Marine is superior to that of bovine or porcine sources, owing to its high absorption rate and bioavailability. However, the product obtained from marine costs relatively higher than from bovine and porcine, which is expected to restrain the growth of the segment.
Collagen Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global collagen market report on the basis of source, product, application, and region:
Based on the Source Insights, the market is segmented into bovine, porcine, poultry, marine and others
- Bovine, porcine, poultry, and marine are the four main sources required to manufacture collagen. Collagen from bovine sources accounted for a substantial volume share of nearly 38.1% in 2020, due to the easy availability of bovine-based raw material and comparatively lower prices than porcine and marine.
- However, concerns regarding the transfer of diseases such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) to humans owing to the consumption of bovine are anticipated to restrain the growth of bovine-based collagen over the forecast period.
- Marine-based sources are expected to witness the fastest growth, registering a revenue-based CAGR of 10.0% from 2020 to 2028.
- Marine collagen is superior to that of bovine or porcine sources, owing to its high absorption rate and bioavailability. However, marine collagen costs are relatively higher than bovine and porcine variants, which is expected to restrain segment growth.
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into gelatin, hydrolyzed collagen, native collagen, synthetic collagen and others
- The gelatin segment dominated the collagen market in 2020 owing to substantial demand for the product as a food stabilizer.
- The growth of the fishing industry in India and China has attracted gelatin manufacturers in the Asia Pacific to use fish as a raw material for gelatin production. Demand for gelatin in developing economies is also expected to be driven by lifestyle and dietary changes, leading to increased consumption of gelatin.
- The market for hydrolyzed collagen is anticipated to register the fastest growth over the forecast period, backed by its increasing use in the healthcare sector for tissue repair and dental applications.
- Increasing efforts by companies to use hydrolyzed collagen in the treatment of bone-related disorders such as osteoarthritis have favored segment growth.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into food & beverages, healthcare, cosmetics and others
- Key applications include food and beverages, healthcare, and cosmetics. In 2020, healthcare was the largest application segment and is forecast to retain its dominant position over the forecast period, accounting for a 49.3% share of the market volume in 2028.
- The product is gaining popularity in the healthcare sector as a bone void filler owing to its ability to encourage bone development. Increasing demand for collagen sponges to carry proteins in bone repairing treatments is expected to drive segment growth over the forecast period.
- The food and beverage segment is expected to register the highest growth over the forecast period owing to spurring demand for dietary supplements and functional food and beverages in North America and Europe. The rising popularity of the product as a cosmetic ingredient to prevent aging effects such as wrinkles is expected to open new market avenues by 2028.
- Collagen is used to manufacture wound covers, which have a high demand as a dressing material for severe burns and sores.
- The demand for collagen is expected to increase in treatments involving human surgeries. Collagen wound dressings can be used for partial- and full-thickness wounds, wounds with minimal to heavy exudate, skin grafts, and skin donation sites, second-degree burns, granulating, or necrotic wounds, and chronic non-healing wounds.
Collagen Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
Companies are actively involved in the research and development of advanced products that provide additional options such as customizable emulsification and gelling with respect to product manufacturing. The key players operate in multiple locations and market their products through numerous sales networks across the globe, including third-party distribution channels. Industry players operate in multiple locations with manufacturing facilities situated near abundant sources of raw materials and carry out distribution through several sales locations across the area of operation.
Some of the key companies operating in the industry include:
- CGelita AG
- Nitta Gelatin
- NA Inc.
- Darling Ingredients Inc.
- Weishardt International
- Nippi Collagen NA Inc.
- Rousselot B.V.
- Collagen Matrix; Inc.
- Koninklijke DSM N.V.
- CONNOILS LL
- Advanced BioMatrix; Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Collagen Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519