Discover United States using car: choose your city and get transit mapquest driving directions to popular attractions and main streets and famous restaurants, famous eateries, famous amusement parks.
View train and bus schedules in the US, as well as maps of local transportation lines and the finest bus, train, and subway routes! Everything you’ll need to travel like a local in the United States!
Tips for Driving in the USA
There are several basic driving rules that must be followed in every country. These are they:
– Except in the US Virgin Islands, drive on the right side of the road!
– Stick to the posted speed limits.
– Do not drive if you have a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08 percent or more, which is the legal limit in all states. The consequences differ by state, but you don’t want to do it.
– You must come to a complete stop at all STOP signs (see below for more information on STOP signs).
– School buses with flashing lights and a stop sign must be stopped (more below on school buses).
At the very least, the driver and front-seat passenger must be buckled up.
– Traffic Lights
Stop on red. Red signifies stop, as you might expect, and you must stop at a red traffic signal. If you are the first car to arrive at the light, there will be a line on the road where you should stop; otherwise, you will have to wait in line behind other cars. It’s worth noting that you can sometimes proceed after stopping, even if the light is red — see “turning on a red traffic signal” below.
Yellow indicates that you must come to a complete stop at the stop line. You may proceed if you are travelling too fast to safely stop, such as when you are about to cross the stop line and the light turns from green to yellow as you approach; nevertheless, if you can safely stop, it is preferable to do so rather than try to “beat the light.”
Proceed with caution. When the light changes from red to green, you are free to proceed. If a light is green as you approach it, you may proceed; however, if it turns yellow, you must stop unless it is unsafe to do so.