Endometriosis and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) are two common gynecological conditions that affect women of reproductive age.
Both conditions can cause significant discomfort and pain and negatively impact a woman’s quality of life.
Although both conditions can cause menstrual irregularities and pelvic pain, they can cause a range of symptoms that can be confusing for those suffering from them.
They have distinct causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
In this post, we will compare the symptoms of PCOS and Endometriosis and discuss the available ayurveda treatment options for both conditions.
What is Endometriosis?
Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus.
This tissue can grow on the ovaries, fallopian tubes, and other parts of the pelvic area.
Endometriosis can cause pain, infertility, and other symptoms.
Endometriosis affects between 6 and 10% women of reproductive age across the world.
Symptoms of Endometriosis:
- Painful periods
- Pain in the lower abdomen before and during menstruation
- Cramps for a week or two before menstruation and during menstruation
- Pain during or following sexual intercourse
- Pain with bowel movements
- Pelvic or low back pain that may occur at any time during menstrual cycle
- Heavy bleeding during menstrual cycle
Endometriosis Description – As per Ayurveda:
Wrong diet & Stressful lifestyle leads to imbalance in the Tridoshas and formation of Aam.
Vitiated Vata carries the Pitta and Kapha along with Aam into the pelvis region.
It causes the hormonal fluctuations during the menstrual cycle.
This leads to subsequent inflammatory response and fibrosis formation.
This causes displacement of endometrial tissue from uterus to pelvis and swelling in Reproductive channel i.e. growth of endometrial tissues into pelvis.
Causes of Endometriosis – Ayurveda Perspective:
- Excessive intake of salty, sour, heavy, pungent and fatty things.
- Fatty meat of domestic and aquatic animals
- Excessive intake of rice cooked with pulses (Krushara)
- Excessive intake of rice cocked with milk (Payasa)
- Excessive use of Shukta (Vinegar)
- Medications including some types of Antipsychotics, Cancer chemotherapy, Antidepressants, Blood pressure drugs, Allergy medications
- Stress- Mental stress can temporarily alter the functioning of your hypothalamus that controls the hormones that regulate your menstrual cycle. Ovulation and menstruation may stop as a result.
- Hormonal imbalance like Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), Thyroid malfunction
- Structural problems like Uterine scarring, Structural abnormality of the vagina
- Retrograde menstruation
- Transformation of peritoneal cells
- Embryonic cell transformation
- Surgical scar implantation
- Endometrial cell transport
- Immune system disorder
Ayurvedic Pathological Representation of Endometriosis: Causes of Endometriosis and Risk on Health because of Endometriosis
ALSO READ – Effective Home Remedies for Endometriosis Pain
What is PCOS?
PCOS is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce an excess of male hormones( androgen). and do not regularly release eggs.
This can cause multiple cysts to form on the ovaries, which can lead to irregular periods and fertility problems.
Symptoms of PCOS:
- Irregular periods
- Pain during sex
- Excess hair growth or Unwanted hair growth on face i.e. Hirsutism
- Weight gain
- Swelling on whole body
PCOS Description – As per Ayurveda:
Improper diet & lifestyle vitiate Tridoshas, especially Apan Vata and creates Aam.
These doshas vitiate into Artava vaha channel. Low circulation and low metabolic fire is seen in the channel.
These changes in the Artava vaha channels gives rise to Imbalance in Hypothalamic- Pituitary – Ovarian Axis and Hormonal Imbalance mainly in Androgen, FSH, LH & Insulin level.
This arrest Follicular growth and creates multiple immature follicles or cysts.
This result into irregular menses, weight gain etc. This is known as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
Causes of PCOS– Ayurveda Perspective:
- Vata imbalance can cause irregular menstrual cycles, ovarian cysts, and other PCOS symptoms.
- Kapha imbalance can cause weight gain, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalances that lead to PCOS.
- Consuming excessive amounts of processed foods, refined sugar, and unhealthy fats can lead to an accumulation of toxins in the body, causing PCOS.
- Lack of physical activity or a sedentary lifestyle can lead to weight gain, insulin resistance, and hormonal imbalances that cause PCOS.
- Chronic Mental stress can cause hormonal imbalances
- Family history of PCOS may increase the risk of developing the condition.
- Exposure to environmental toxins such as pollution, pesticides, and plastics may disrupt the endocrine system, leading to PCOS.
Ayurvedic Pathological Representation of PCOS: Causes of PCOS and Risk on Health because of PCOS
ALSO READ – REVERSE POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROME (PCOS) NATURALLY
What is the difference between Pcos and Endometriosis?
Endometriosis and PCOS are different in several ways.
Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus. PCOS is a hormonal disorder in which the ovaries produce an excess of male hormones.
Endometriosis can cause pain, while PCOS can cause a range of symptoms, including weight gain, hair growth, and irregular periods.
Both conditions can cause infertility.
Similarities between Endometriosis and PCOS:
Endometriosis and PCOS are similar in that they can both cause infertility. Both conditions can also cause pain, and both are more common in women of reproductive age.
Both the conditions have different underlying causes and require different treatments.
Women with endometriosis and PCOS may benefit from lifestyle changes such as weight loss and exercise.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Endometriosis Vs PCOS
Ayurveda is a holistic approach to health that originated in India thousands of years ago. Ayurvedic treatments for endometriosis and PCOS focus on restoring balance to the body and reducing symptoms.
Here are some of the Ayurvedic treatments that are commonly used for these conditions:
Ayushakti Ayurved Treatment For Endometriosis and PCOS:
Dr Smita Naram and her team have spent decades researching, with the goal of developing new treatments and eventually finding a better cure. We have special therapies and Marma points which help to remove blockages and improve health.
Ayushakti’s medicines are herbal based, extract formulas which are developed and tested by our expert researchers. Our doctors will prescribe medicines according to your personal situation.
Our doctors will create an individual treatment plan for you. You’ll learn how to control the symptoms and manage triggers factors. You will also learn how to improve your condition with lifestyle and dietary changes.
Ayurveda Detox Therapy for PCOS and Endometriosis:
Detox is the Ayurvedic cleansing process for body, mind and emotions that helps you to create holistic health and well-being in your life.
Digestive impurities such as mucus and metabolic toxins pile up in the veins, intestine, liver and joints.
They circulate throughout the entire body and block the system. Continuous build-up of these impurities can cause physical and mental disorders and disease.
A Detox helps to clean out toxins. Marma points help to remove blockages and improve circulation.
Ayushakti’s detoxification Panchkarma treatments are highly focused on relieving the root cause of any chronic problem by cleansing, repairing and rejuvenating the deeper tissues and cells in your body. Click here to check out our Panchkarma Detoxification Plan
Ayushakti’s Treatment Fundamental for Endometriosis:
- Vata Balance (Correct Apan movement which will reduce pelvic pain)
- Reduce Swelling (Reduce growth of endometrial tissue)
- Aam Pachan (Remove unwanted endometrial tissue)
- Balance Metabolic Fire (Increase circulation & Balance hormonal level)
Herbs: Ayurvedic herbs such as Ashoka, Shatavari, and Guggulu have been found to be effective in reducing the symptoms of endometriosis.
Yoga: Yoga postures such as Bhujangasana, Salabhasana, and Dhanurasana can help reduce the pain associated with endometriosis.
Diet: An Ayurvedic diet that is rich in anti-inflammatory foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can help reduce inflammation and pain.
Home Remedies for Endometriosis:
- Drink lukewarm water with dry ginger powder throughout the day.
Ayushakti’s Treatment Fundamental for PCOS:
- Apan Correction (Stimulate maturation of follicle)
- Balance Metabolic Fire (Regulate hormonal level)
- Reduce Swelling (Eliminate multiple immature follicles)
- Nourishment of Reproductive System (Rejuvenation of the cell)
Herbs: Ayurvedic herbs such as Shatavari, Ashwagandha, and Guggulu can help regulate hormones and reduce the symptoms of PCOS.
Yoga: Yoga postures such as Bhujangasana, Salabhasana, and Dhanurasana can help improve circulation and reduce stress, which can be beneficial for women with PCOS.
Diet: An Ayurvedic diet that is low in sugar and carbohydrates and high in fiber and protein can help regulate blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance, which is a common symptom of PCOS.
Home Remedies for PCOS:
1. If menses is not regular then take ajwain (oregano), dill seeds & jaggery each 1-1 tsp. Soak it in a cup of water for overnight, then in the morning boil it & drink.
2. Easy and effective Home Remedies for PCOS
- 250gms fennel powder
- 50gms coriander powder
- 100gms cumin powder
- 50gms carom powder
- 10gms asafetida
Mix all the ingredients well and make 60 packets.
Take 4 packets every day with warm water.
In conclusion, while endometriosis and PCOS are two very different gynecological conditions, that can cause similar symptoms.
Ayurvedic treatments can be effective in reducing the symptoms of both. If you are experiencing menstrual irregularities or pelvic pain or any of the symptoms of these conditions, it is important to seek the advice of a qualified Ayurvedic practitioner, who can help you develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your individual needs.
Ayushakti‘s mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts on phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your well-being in these difficult times.
Book your consultation here – https://bit.ly/3XiG50D
For more information write to us at email@example.com
You may contact us on our toll-free numbers – 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global)
Author of the Blog: DR.TUSHAR YADAV
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd
ALSO READ –
Treatment of polycystic ovary syndrome