When QuickBooks is unable to access the company file, QuickBooks error 6189 816 pops up. Company file errors are common for QuickBooks users, and most of them can be easily resolved. This error code can be caused due to issues in multi-user hosting or damage to some components. If you are facing the QuickBooks 6189 and 816, follow the reasons and solutions provided in this article to troubleshoot the error and resume working on the company file seamlessly.
You can reach out to us at +1-855-856-0042 for technical assistance if you have difficulty in resolving the error code on your own.
Why is My QuickBooks Giving Error 6189 816
The QuickBooks error code 6189 816 might occur due to the following reasons –
1. You don’t have read/write permission to access the QB file folder.
2. Your QuickBooks installation file is having some issues.
3. Improper or unfinished QuickBooks installation process can also cause the error.
4. You are using QuickBooks in single-user mode.
5. QuickBooks transaction log file or the company file is corrupt or damaged.
You can also read this article about QuickBooks Error 6190 and 816
Troubleshooting the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816
The QuickBooks Desktop error 6189 816 can be rectified with the help of the following steps –
Step 1 – Allow Full Control to QuickBooks User
To get rid of the QuickBooks error code -6189, set-up proper folder access permissions.
1. Go to your company file folder and select Properties by right-clicking on it.
2. Select Edit from the Security tab and select QB Data Service User.
3. Click on Full Control to allow complete access and click Allow.
4. Select Apply and OK to save the above-made changes.
You may also like to see: QuickBooks network connection Error
Step 2 – Mend the Transaction Log File
Fix the damaged transaction log file by recreating the .TLG file and resolve the QuickBooks error code.
1. Open Windows File Manager and find the installation folder where your company file is saved.
2. Search for your .TLG extension file and right-click on it to select Delete.
3. Run QuickBooks and create a new .TLG file on the application.
4. Access the company file again and see if the QuickBooks error 6189 816 is resolved.
Step 3 – Run a QuickBooks Installation Diagnosis
If there are any issues in installing QuickBooks, they might be causing the QuickBooks error code 6189 and 816. Fix the installation issues by using the diagnostic tool from the tool hub.
1. Install the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file and run the tool hub.
2. Find the Program Installation Issues tab and open it to select the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
3. Repair the installation issues by running a diagnosis. Once the diagnosis ends, re-access your company file and see if the error is rectified.
Step 4 – Fix the Company File with the File Doctor
Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub to fix the company file issues. For this, go to the Company File Issues tab and run the tool to repair the company file.
You can also read this guide to fix QuickBooks Error 15271
The steps provided above will help you fix the issues causing the QuickBooks error 6189 816. If the error code persists, you can reach out to us at +1-855-856-0042 to get assistance from our technical team in fixing the error.