Sepsis Diagnostics Industry Overview
The global sepsis diagnostics market size was valued at USD 615.4 million in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.6% from 2022 to 2030.
Factors such as the high prevalence of sepsis, increasing awareness, and the introduction of technologically advanced diagnostic solutions are expected to significantly fuel the market growth over the forecast period. Sepsis is a severe medical condition caused by the overwhelming immune response to an infection. Recent studies have shown an increasing prevalence of this life-threatening disease around the globe. According to the data published by the WHO in April 2018, globally, this condition affects more than 30 million people and leads to around 6 million deaths every year. The same source states that globally, around 3 million newborns and 1.2 million children suffer from this condition every year. Such a high prevalence is anticipated to increase demand for its diagnostic solutions, thus fueling the market growth over the forecast period.
Currently, most of the existing diagnostic tests can take up to 72 hours to process and provide final results. Thus, high demand for rapid diagnostic tests exists in the market for the early diagnosis of sepsis that could save thousands of lives. In February 2019, researchers at the University of Strathclyde have discovered a ground-breaking and cost-effective test for earlier diagnosis of this disease. This newly developed test uses a microelectrode to analyze the patients’ blood and can provide finals results in around two and a half minutes. Key players in the market have lucrative opportunities to strengthen their market position with the development and launch of such advanced rapid tests.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Sepsis Diagnostics Market
Increasing regulatory approval and the introduction of technologically advanced diagnostic solutions are expected to be the prominent factors facilitating market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in May 2020, Beckman Coulter launched its new DxH 690T hematology analyzer with early sepsis indicators in the U.S. Moreover, in August 2018, Japan-based Sysmex Corporation launched its new HISCL Presepsin Assay Kit for determining levels of presepsin, the main test parameter for bacterial sepsis. This kit is designed to achieve early diagnosis of bacterial sepsis with high precision as compared to conventional biomarkers.
Hospital-acquired infections (HAIs) can trigger sepsis, especially in the geriatric population, newborn babies, and people suffering from chronic diseases. The prevalence of hospital-acquired infections is increasing owing to the high incidence of various chronic diseases, such as diabetes. A rise in the number of admissions in acute care hospitals often leads to infections, which cause sepsis. Sepsis, in such a group of patients, sometimes leads to re-hospitalization within 30 days of treatment, which propels the demand for its diagnostic products in hospitals. Hospital-acquired infections majorly include urinary tract infections (UTIs) and surgical-site infections (SSIs), which can result in sepsis. According to the WHO, 7 out of every 100 hospitalized patients is likely to develop hospital-acquired infections in developed countries, whereas this number is likely to increase to 10 in developing countries due to poor healthcare infrastructure. In addition, according to the CDC estimates, every year, around 1.7 million patients suffer from HAIs and around 99,000 patients die due to HAIs in the U.S.
Furthermore, the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and a subsequent increase in the risk of developing sepsis are some of the key factors anticipated to drive the demand for its diagnostics solutions. According to a study published by the Global Sepsis Alliance, in April 2020, over 30% of COVID-19 patients had evidence of liver injury and around 75% reported a depressed immune response in Seattle, U.S. According to the data published by the CDC, around 6% of COVID-19 patients were critical and admitted to the intensive care unit. According to the Global Sepsis Alliance, viruses causing COVID-19, influenza, HIV, meningitis, pneumonia, and others are primarily responsible for causing sepsis. Based on a retrospective study, patients hospitalized with COVID-19 pose a higher risk of developing coinfections. The study revealed that among the non-survivors, 50% had a secondary infection, 100% of these non-survivors had sepsis, and about 70% had septic shock. Thus, one of the critical causes of mortality among COVID-19 patients is sepsis.
Browse through Grand View Research's Clinical Diagnostics Industry Research Reports.
- Biomarkers Market – The global biomarkers market size was valued at USD 51.18 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 14.2% from 2021 to 2028. The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, advancements in the techniques used for the development of biomarker-based diagnostics, and the growing geriatric population are the key factors projected to boost the market growth over the forecast period.
- Molecular Diagnostics Market – The global molecular diagnostics market size was valued at USD 36.2 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3.9% from 2021 to 2028. The growth can be attributed to technological advancements, rising elderly population, and external funding for R&D. Rising demand for Point-of-Care (PoC) testing is attributable to government support, demand for self-testing diagnostics, and rising consumer awareness about faster diagnostics. A surge in the prevalence of infectious diseases is also boosting the demand for molecular diagnostics.
Sepsis Diagnostics Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global sepsis diagnostics market based on product, technology, pathogen, testing type, and region:
- Sepsis Diagnostics Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2018 – 2030)
- Blood Culture Media
- Assay Kits and Reagents
- Sepsis Diagnostics Technology Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2018 – 2030)
- Molecular Diagnostics
- Flow Cytometry
- Sepsis Diagnostics Pathogen Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2018 – 2030)
- Bacterial Sepsis
- Gram-positive Bacteria
- Gram-negative Bacteria
- Fungal Sepsis
- Sepsis Diagnostics Testing Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2018 – 2030)
- Laboratory Testing
- PoC Testing
Market Share Insights
- October 2021: Prenosis Inc. extended its existing deal with Roche Diagnostics to increase the speed of clinical diagnosis of sepsis.
- January 2020: Roche and Inotrem SA, a France-based company, formed a strategic agreement for the commercialization of a companion diagnostics test intended for septic shock.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global sepsis diagnostics market include
- bioMérieux SA
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG
- Danaher Corporation (Beckman Coulter, Inc.)
- Luminex Corporation
- Bruker Corporation
- Amara Health Analytics
- Wolters Kluwer N.V.
- Cerner Corporation
- Epic Systems Corporation
- Mckesson Corporation
- GE Healthcare
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
Order a free sample PDF of the Sepsis Diagnostics Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519